Dog eat dog world

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Fong San Dim Sum in Ipoh


This is the first time that I ever woke up at 6am for food. More specifically, for dim sum.

The place in question is a very famous restaurant in Ipoh called Fong San. It's almost an institution. If you are from Ipoh, chances are you would have grown up eating from this place. And what makes it even more interesting is that everyone from Ipoh knows that you gotta wake up in the wee hours of the morning if you are gonna be successful in snagging a seat.

It's the DeepaRaya holidays and we've taken a 2 day trip from KL down to Ipoh for what I would call a mini food fest. The last time I was in Ipoh I ate so much I fell so sick afterwards, I even sent CK on a panic attack!

Anyway back to Fong San, when we got there the place was already brimming! Amazing! But being pretty early, we got a seat pretty fast too. We were here with CK's colleagues - James and Janice - and were later joined by Janice's parents.

If you happen to be in Ipoh, I would say it was a gourmet experience worth waking up for.



Dim Sum was pushed in carts but the place was so friggin crowded that these pushcarts were held in standstill as people crowded around them instead trying to get their hands on the food. We got our dim sum... ranging from Polo Bun, carrot cake, har kow, siew mai, egg tart, chee cheong fan, spare ribs, etc.

The Polo Bun and Egg tart scored points while carrot cake (fried with bean sprouts.. eeks!) got the thumbs down. The other stuff were great too. I had a major craving for a sweet filling bao and here's wat I got, a tao sar bao, albeit in a rather strange shape.


If you are in Ipoh, do not give Fong San a miss. It's got a great atmosphere that is rare in dim sum restaurants nowadays. I always felt that dim sum should have a 'fun' element and yup, Fong San's got that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home